Thursday 8 May 2014

Outline Plan for Unit 3 digital - Topics and Themes in Digital Imaging

The title and theme for this unit is Abstract Imagery.

This is a continuation from my research in unit 3, exploring other practitioners and different techniques to create abstract images. This is an area of photography that has been directly inspired by the Impressionist and Pictorial movements of art. It is a genre of art that I have appreciated for a long time and having been introduced to a contemporary photographer, Chris Friel and his work during my current photography course, I am greatly inspired to explore and experiment with techniques, attempting to achieve the right effect in my own work.
Researching art history in Impressionism and abstract will my first step followed by examining the first photographers who were influenced by the movement. My research will then move onto current day photographers and the techniques used along with the results they produce.
The artists I will be concentrating on are, 'Monet', 'Whistler' and 'Okeeffe' whilst the early photographers will be 'Annan' and 'Steiglitz', Steiglitz being a key figure in promoting photography as modern art. The modern day photographers being researched are, 'Friel', 'Davis' and 'Jung'.

I will begin my research by using the 'Discovery' facility on the student intranet to source books and journals for reference material. Next step is to highlight the material I find of value and interest on the printed or copied journals/internet tutorials. If there are no books available in the library, I will perform an internet search and check on Amazon and Ebay for them. I already possess a few books on abstract photography but any extra titles needed must be ordered early on to enable them to arrive in time for me to use them. Next an internet search will be performed to support my assignment and relevant information will be downloaded and printed. Once all my source material is collated, I will begin my 1000 word assignment. 

Introduction:
I will begin by explaining my interest in abstract photography, its relationship to art history and how abstract it is defined and described (with quotes).
Middle:
Look at artists and the Impressionism movement along with a comparison to todays modern art, highlighting the difference in access of the public to view it. Explore three different techniques, effects and practitioners with supporting images (with quotes). Techniques will be multiple exposures, intentional camera movement and macro.
Conclusion:
Evaluate the different techniques and how I will relate them to my own work. Discuss the success or failure of my experiences and the impact on my intentions for unit 4.

I will also be compiling a resource sheet to detail the source information I am using and how I found this information.

Initial Sources:

(website)
Chris Friel Photography

(website)
Information - James Craig Annan

(website)
Stephanie Jung Photography

(website)
Interview with Ursula Abresch

(Journal article)
An eye for the modern: the world of Alfred Steiglitz

(Journal article - Encyclopaedia Britannica)
Impressionism (painting style)

(Journal article)
Impressionism, In Painting. Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th Edition,

(Journal article)
http://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2013/09/multiple-exposure-photography/

(Journal article)
Featured Photographer - Chris Friel

(Journal article) (Discovery search)
Aaron Siskind; Robert Mann Gallery / Andrea Rosen Gallery / Whitney museum of american art / studio museum in Harlem

(Journal article) (Discovery search)
The art of abstract photography 

(Book)
Digital Abstract and Macro Photography
Author: Milburn, Ken
Pages: 305
Publisher: Course Technology / Cengage Learning
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Date Published: 03/2005
Language: en

(Book)
The Edge of Vision: The Rise of Abstraction in Photography
Author: Rexer, Lyle
Pages: 291
Publisher: Aperture (2 Sep 2013) 
Language: English

(Book) 
Turner, Whistler, Monet (The World's Greatest Art)
Author: Pickeral, Tamsin
Pages: 384
Publisher: Flame Tree Publishing; New edition edition (6 April 2005)
Language: English

(Book)
Creative Close-Ups: Digital Photography Tips & Techniques
Author: Davis, Harold
Pages: 240
Publisher: Wiley; 1 edition (14 Feb 2011)
Language: English

(Book) 
Georgia O'Keeffe (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists)
Author: Venezia, Mike
Pages: 32
Publisher: Franklin Watts Ltd; New edition edition (May 1996)
Language: English

(Book)
Alfred Stieglitz Camera Work: The Complete Photographs
Author: Roberts, Pam
Pages: 552
Publisher: Taschen GmbH; Mul edition (10 Mar 2013)
Language: French

No comments:

Post a Comment